Who doesn't love to relax in a hot bath? Better yet, who doesn't love a hot bath filled with essential oils and de-stressing, pain relieving and skin softening bath salts? Especially after a long, hard day on the ranch?
Epsom Salts baths are a big part of my families life, whether it be my boys coming home from baseball or a snow day outside, (snowballs HURT! Haha), or just wanting to relax and unwind after a day of errands and farm chores, (The chickens and cows don't clean their own pens ya know!).
So that's when we turn to salt baths. Epsom salts have been used to treat a variety of health ailments by numerous cultures for centuries. Epsom salt baths have astounding health benefits and are an excellent way to de-stress and detoxify the whole body. Absorbed through the skin also work to relieve muscle tension, pain, and inflammation in joints. Submerge yourself in a warm Epsom salt bath to alleviate tension headaches or soothe abdominal cramps. Tired and sore feet will also benefit from the therapeutic warmth of a salt soak.
The name Epsom salts comes from its origination of a bitter saline spring found at Epsom in Surrey, England. Unlike other naturally occurring salts, Epsom salts are formed from a pure mineral compound containing magnesium and sulfate. Both magnesium and sulfate stimulate detoxification pathways in the body. More than 325 enzymes in our bodies require magnesium to properly function. Magnesium stimulates nerve and muscle function, limits inflammation, and improves oxygenation and blood flow through the body. Deficiencies in magnesium can cause significant damage to nerves which manifest in symptoms associated with depression. Magnesium and sulfate are both fine consistency minerals that can be absorbed through our skin and taken up into the bloodstream. Just as your skin perspires to remove toxins through your pores, these same pores also allow minerals in.
We like to take it one step further and add our favorite essential oil to our salts before adding them to the bath. You can choose whatever oil is best for supporting your body in its needs at the time. You want to add the essential oils into the salts first so that they have something to bind with and don't just sit on top of your bath water.
Here are our FAVORITE essential oils for our salt baths:
- Lavender & Roman Chamomile: helps to relax, calming effect on the skin, mind & body, soothes skin irritations, soothes anger & irritability, eases feelings of tension, soak away your stress and get ready for a restful night's sleep, promotes feelings of well being.
- Deep Blue Soothing Blend: eases growing kids' legs, cooling and comforting after a workout or strenuous day, creates a cool, tingling sensation on your skin, perfect for the athlete in the house.
- Eucalyptus & Peppermint: promotes healthy respiratory function & clear breathing, invigorating on a cold winter day, helps clear the mind, revitalizing to your skin, relieves the feeling of tension.
- Lemon & Rosemary: helps reduce nervous tension and fatigue, helps maintain concentration, stress reduction, helps clear your mind, cleansing to the body, promotes a positive mood.
- Geranium, Bergamot & Ylang Ylang: smoothing, purifying & beautifying to your skin, calming & grounding effect, reduces feelings of tension & daily stress, gives a sense of calm & clarity, uplifts your mood while experiencing a calming effect.
So, now that you have your oils, how do you mix them you ask? Simple... add 3-6 drops of essential oil into 1-2 cups of Epsom salts, mix with a stainless steel fork to combine the oils into the salts. Yee Haw! Pour the mixture into a running bath and ENJOY!
I would LOVE to hear what your favorite essential oil combinations are. Please comment below to let me know! I look forward to hearing from Y'all!