Essential Oils: All the information you need to get started:
So you keep hearing about essential oils; celebrities are talking about them, you see posts on social media sites, and people in your social circle have mentioned to you that they are using them. If you have just discovered essential oils and want to learn more about them, this is a good place to start. I have put together this blog to get you started on your journey towards a healthier lifestyle using all-natural, plant-derived goodness.
What are essential oils?
Let’s start with the basics. If you have ever enjoyed the scent of a rose, you’ve experienced the aromatic qualities of essential oils. These naturally occurring, volatile aromatic compounds are found in the seeds, bark, stems, roots, flowers, and other parts of plants. They can be both beautifully and powerfully fragrant. Essential oils give plants their distinctive smells, essential oils protect plants and play a role in plant pollination. An essential oil, as the name suggests, is the very essence of the plant from which it is derived. These oils are extracted using the cold-press or steam distillation method depending on the plant parts they are extracted from.
In addition to their intrinsic benefits to plants and their beautiful fragrance, essential oils have long been used for food preparation, beauty treatment, and health-care practices. Brimming with the very essence of the plant, essential oils are potent and concentrated, and they offer a wide range of therapeutic and even spiritual benefits. They can be used to promote healthy skin and hair and maintain the respiratory, digestive, and immune system.
How to use essential oils:
As the research surrounding essential oils continues to develop, a greater understanding of application methods is now understood. All application methods are safe when used appropriately, including aromatic, topical, and internal methods. One or multiple application methods can be used depending on the targeted benefit.
The sense of smell is a tool that can elicit powerful, mental, and emotional responses. Essential oils are readily volatile and are quickly absorbed by the olfactory receptors. For this reason, essential oils have an especially powerful effect via an aromatic application. Some essential oils induce uplifting or invigorating effects, while others are more calming.
Diffusion is the most efficient method for applying essential oils aromatically and many types of diffusers exist. Some work directly on the whole oil by transforming it into a micro-fine mist, while others use water to distribute the essential oils as microscopic droplets. Because of the delicate nature of the oil’s chemical profile, essential oils should never be used in diffusers that work by burning or heating the oil, as this can alter their chemical structure. Diffusers that use cold air or water are ideal. This is a good way to purify the air, and also freshen up your living spaces.
Diffusing essential oils can also promote a calm and relaxing environment in the home, and when diffused at night, they can even help you fall asleep faster.
However, using essential oils aromatically does not require any special diffusing devices. You can achieve the same benefits by simply placing a few drops of essential oil in the palm of your hand that is then cupped around the nose as you breathe deeply.
Essential oils can also be used topically. Topical application is a very effective method for applying essential oils and they easily penetrate the skin. Once absorbed, they stay in the applied area for a localized benefit. Although essential oils are readily absorbed, there are many ways to increase absorption. Using a light massage will increase the area of application. Use of a carrier oil can also increase absorption, especially in skin that is dry or flaky as it helps moisturize the skin and slow evaporation.
A few ‘HOT’ essential oils may cause a reaction or burning sensation when used directly on the skin. These oils must be diluted before using topically. To decrease the likelihood of developing a sensitivity, it is advisable to use a carrier oil to dilute the more potent oils and when trying an oil for the first time. The recommended dilution ratio is typically 1 drop of essential oil to three drops of carrier oil. Coconut oil, almond oil, and olive oil make good carriers.
You can also add essential oils to your bath by mixing them with honey, milk or bathing salts. This mixture can be poured into the bathtub. You can also make them a part of your daily skincare routine by adding them to your favorite lotion or cream.
Internal use is perhaps the most potent method for using essential oils; however, our bodies are also well-equipped and actually accustomed to metabolizing them. Did you know that essential oils are already a well-integrated part of your diet? Many plants that we consume on a regular basis produce small amounts of essential oil. When you sprinkle cinnamon on your oatmeal, sip a mug of peppermint tea, or add fresh basil leaves to your spaghetti, you are actually consuming some volatile aromatic essential oil compounds. To food, essential oil contributes to many health benefits as well as flavoring and aroma properties. When in their concentrated form, essential oils can be used as dietary supplements for more targeted and potent health benefits. This can help alleviate specific ailments like an upset stomach, indigestion & unwanted pathogens for example.
Most essential oils are very safe when used internally, but it is important to be aware of proper dosage protocols. The necessary dose may change based on the age, size, and health status of the person, as well as their desired health benefit. It is best to start with the lowest possible dose (1–2 drops) and then increase the dose as needed. The recommended internal dose of essential oils is 1–5 drops, depending on the oil or blend.
Top 10 essential oils:
These are my favorite oils, I call them my TOP 10 oils and take them with me everywhere, (yes in my sew grown oil case!). These 10 oils help with a wide variety of common ailments. Check out the 6 single oils below:
1) Lavender: This is a versatile oil and can be used in many applications. In fact, it’s a must-have, so go ahead and get a bottle. Lavender can promote calm and relaxation, and it can also help you sleep better. It also has some purifying properties, which makes it effective against minor scratches, cuts or scrapes.
2) Lemon: Another favorite, lemon essential oil can be used in a lot of DIY beauty recipes. It is also a great oil to use when you want shiny, germ-free countertops and surfaces.
3) Melaleuca (Tea Tree): Did you know that Melaleuca is native to Australia where aborigines have been using it for thousands of years for medicinal purposes? It is an excellent purifying and can be used as a first aid to alleviate bites, cuts, scratches, etc. It is also very effective in relieving facial breakouts.
4) Oregano: You may know oregano as a popular seasoning, but did you know that it is highly effective against unwanted pathogens on the skin? A powerful antioxidant, oregano can help support respiratory functions and also aid in healthy digestion.
5) Peppermint: This minty smelling essential oil has been used for medicinal purposes for centuries. You can use this it to alleviate respiratory ailments, clear nasal passages, and maintain a healthy digestive system. It is also a great way to cool your body down and soothe head tension.
6) Frankincense: Known as the ‘King of Oils’, Frankincense can help maintain healthy cellular function. It can also promote a feeling a calm and peace. An excellent anti-aging product, Frankincense can help improve the skin’s texture by reducing wrinkles and promoting a glowing, healthy skin.
Essential oil blends use formulas that offer targeted benefits. Here are my favorite 4 blends for you:
7) doTERRA Breathe: A must-have during the fall/winter season, this blend helps support a healthy respiratory system. It may alleviate symptoms of seasonal threats, for example, a stuffy nose, itchy eyes, tight chest, congestion, cough, etc. It will also help you sleep like a baby.
8) Deep Blue: This blend will take care of those occasional, unexpected aches and pains that seem to materialize out of nowhere. If your muscles need some relief after your workout sessions, this blend is an excellent choice.
9) DigestZen: ‘Tis the season to eat well, and also a lot (for many)! DigestZen will help you recover from your holiday binges by alleviating an upset stomach, providing relief from indigestion, and reducing bloating and gas.
10) doTERRA On Guard: This blend is like an invisible first line of defense against germs and crud. It boosts and maintains your immune health along with supporting a healthy respiratory system. Another great blend to have during the fall/winter season.
Why doTERRA essential oils?
There are many essential oils brands in the market, but not all of them are pure, even though they claim to be. Each doTERRA essential oil is also carefully and thoroughly tested using the strict CPTG Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade® quality protocol. Experienced essential oil users will immediately recognize the superior quality standard for naturally safe, purely effective therapeutic-grade doTERRA essential oils. The final product is pure, potent, and free from any artificial additives or fillers. The socially conscious company also makes an effort to create jobs and provide a stable income for families of its growers in impoverished countries.
When you choose doTERRA, you are choosing essential oils gently and carefully distilled from plants that have been patiently harvested at the perfect moment by experienced growers from around the world for ideal extract composition and efficacy.
How do I get started?
Getting started with essential oils is very easy.
2 Select ‘Become a Member’ (top navigation bar)
3 Select ‘Wholesale Customer’
4 Check ‘Accept Terms’ box
5 Enter doTERRA referral id: 2422804
6 Choose your kit (at a reduced price) OR choose the $35 wholesale membership fee & any products you wish.
Then send a request to join my private Facebook Customer Education group: Stay Oiled My Friends
. Our community of doTERRA members share valuable education on essential oil uses, DIY’s, safety, latest offers, deals, discounts, and more.
Want To Learn More About Living A Natural Lifestyle?
Join Our Mailing List Today For More Information!
I want MORE info, Contact Me For A FREE Wellness Consultation