Are You Getting Enough Vitamin D? Spend More Time Outdoors
Summer has gone and I am already missing the warm sunshine on my skin and the incredible joy of being able to spend the days outdoors, enjoying nature. And let’s not forget the opportunity for a glorious tan this season offers. If you work out at all, summer is the perfect time to enjoy a vigorous exercise session and soak in some Vitamin D by taking your routine outdoors. While your gym may offer some fancy equipment and air conditioning, nothing can beat the experience provided by Mother Nature. Still not convinced? Consider these points:
- The Perfect Time for Some ‘Sunshine Vitamin’: Our bodies require Vitamin D to carry out their daily functioning. It helps in the absorption of calcium, magnesium, and other minerals in the body. Your bone structure’s maintenance also depends on it. Vitamin D deficiency is more common than you think, especially in the northern US and Canada. Experts suggest that the time taken to absorb Vitamin D in the outdoors is less than the time it takes to develop a tan. You can spend a minimum of 15 minutes outdoors, and your body will get its required dose of vitamin D.
- Your Mood Will Improve: Being out in nature can help drive away the blues and improve your mood, and there is scientific evidence that proves this. You see, our bodies produce a chemical called serotonin that helps us feel positive emotions like happiness, contentment, etc. Working out in the outdoors will push our bodies to produce this ‘happy chemical’ which in turn will drastically improve mood and make you feel happy. Simply breathing in the fresh, outdoor air can encourage the production of serotonin.
- It’s An Instant Dose of Energy: The gym may offer different types of equipment, but nature will take away your blues, infuse you with energy, and motivate you to push yourself further and harder. Your exercise performance will automatically increase when you move outdoors. You may experience up to a 90% increase in your energy levels (as per a study).
- You Will Sleep Better: If catching the right amount of Zzzs in the night is a problem, then you need to step out of the home and soak in those early morning sun rays. Did you know that sunlight indirectly helps regulate the body’s circadian rhythm? That’s correct. It directly affects the pineal gland that produces melatonin, the chemical that oversees the body’s internal clock.
- You Will Burn More Calories Outdoors: Exercising outdoors is more likely to burn more calories than working out in the gym. This is because the outdoors offers a dynamic environment where the terrain, wind speed, temperature, etc. keep changing, offering different levels of challenges. Your body will be trying to constantly adapt to these changes, thus burning more calories than you would have in a controlled setting like the gym.
You can take doTERRA’s Mito2Max® Energy & Stamina Complex to help support your exercise goals. Start your morning exercise routine by deeply inhaling from a bottle of Wild Orange Essential Oil to keep you energized and motivated. A glass of water with a few drops of Lemon Essential Oil will help cleanse and energize. If you experience muscle soreness, try doTERRA’s Deep Blue Rub. It provides a cooling sensation when applied to the affected areas. It’s never too late to get started on good habits. Step into your running shoes and step outside today