Stay Cool this Summer, Try These Essential Oils
Summer is here; this usually means days spent being in the great outdoors. People who spend most of the day working outdoors feel the rising mercury more acutely. Most of my day is spent on the ranch, and I sometimes find the heat too much to bear. Of course, it will only get hotter as we move further into the season.
Entering an air-conditioned room feels like heaven after being in the sun. But it doesn’t have to be the only way to beat the heat. The right essential oils can be very effective in leaving you cool and refreshed. Used alone or mixed to create a blend, the fresh scent of certain oils can invigorate you on a hot day.
Here are my favorite essential oils for this season:
- Peppermint essential oil: Almost everyone is familiar with the cool, minty scent of peppermint. If you are feeling overheated, try a few drops in a spray bottle mixed with water. Just mist your skin while out in the heat to feel the cool relief from the hot sun. You can also prepare a foot bath with a few drops of peppermint added. Dip your feet in this for a cooling sensation. This is also a favorite oil of mine because it smells fresh and provides an instant energy boost. Besides this, it can also help relieve an occasional stomach upset and support clear breathing.
- Spearmint essential oil: Spearmint is the gentler variety in the family of mints. Being a mint, it has the same fresh and invigorating scent as the others. When used on the skin, it imparts a cooling sensation. Children and those with sensitive skins will find it a good alternative to peppermint.
- Eucalyptus: Eucalyptus is great during the winter months as it helps support clear breathing and maintains respiratory health. However, you can also enjoy its refreshing and cooling scent in the hot summer months. Diffusing it in the house will leave you feeling invigorated and fresh.
- doTERRA Breathe: This is one of doTERRA’s popular blends. It contains essential oils of Peppermint, Eucalyptus, Melaleuca (Tea Tree), Lemon, Cardamom, Ravensara, and Laurel Leaf. When used topically, it can help cool the skin. Besides this, the blend can help protect against seasonal threats, support clear breathing, and promote a good night’s sleep.
- Other oils: Besides these, essential oils like chamomile, lavender, sandalwood, and basil also have a cooling effect on the body. You can use in blends or special DIY recipes that will help you stay cool during the summer.
Quick DIY Recipes:
- Cooling spray: In a glass spray bottle, mix together aloe vera gel (1/4 cup), witch hazel (1/4 cup), peppermint essential oil (2-3 drops), and lavender essential oils (5 drops). Shake the bottle vigorously to mix the content.
- Soothing after-sun care: In a glass spray bottle, Mix aloe vera gel (1 cup), doTERRA fractionated coconut oil (¼ cup), frankincense (12–15 drops), and sandalwood (8–10 drops). This is very good to soothe irritated skin after sun exposure.
- Refreshing beauty wipes: In a small container, (or a Ziploc bag), mix together witch hazel (2-3 tablespoons), lavender (3–5 drops), and geranium (1-3 drops). Soak rectangular pieces of paper towel or fabric in the mixture. These wipes are refreshing and also great for the skin.
The high temperatures can take a toll on the body so make sure you take care of yourself: drink plenty of water, wear breathable fabrics, eat light, and wear a sunscreen every time you step out. Most importantly, enjoy the season and don’t forget to have fun in the sun.